Sunday 26 January 2014

Never Be A ‘Dissension-er’

Women are powerful o! They can make or mar you, destroy or build you up! You don’t believe me? Read this story below:

Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.”
And he answered him, “Here I am.”

2 Then he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death. 3 Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. 4 And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.”

5 Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it. 6 So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, “Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, 7 ‘Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.’ 8 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you. 9 Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves. 

10 Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.” - Genesis 27: 1- 10 (NKJV)

We may all be very familiar with the story above. The story of how Jacob swindled Esau of his father’s firstborn blessings. Several interpretations have been given to this story but I would want to concentrate on what Rebecca, their mother, did. She was the one who brought up the suggestion that Jacob should pretend to be his brother Esau. She even gave him good tips on how to go about it. She capitalised on the fact that Jacob and Esau did not see eye to eye, or how else would you explain how Jacob could flow with the idea and not resist it? It’s obvious there must have been some form of rift between them before Rebecca cooked up her plan. But that’s not where I’m going. Rebecca did what most women do not hesitate to do – She caused dissension between brothers!

Dissension is sowing discord, disunity, disagreement, tension, strife etc. Sure, men do this too but have you noticed that it is where women are gathered that it is most prevalent? And of course we have a biblical example to back that up….lol
But seriously, how does God feel about this?

Proverbs 6: 16-19
These six things the LORD hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren. (NKJV)

How many times have you seen the word ‘hate’ alongside God? How can a God who is Love personified be capable of hating? It is because He knows the damage discord can bring. He hates the act, and it is impossible to sow discord and be in love. In other words, anyone who causes conflict and strife among brethren (Brethren here meaning God’s people, not necessary a congregation – going beyond the 4 walls of a church) does so with the intention of spreading the bile of hatred, causing dis-unity. Where there is discord, there you can find every evil practice, and prayers can never be answered!
Can I implore of you today - If you are guilty of causing faction, sowing discord for your own selfish gain – 3 words: STOP IT PLEASE! It profits nothing.


 Instead do the following highlighted in the Book of Ephesians chapter 4 (NIV) 2-3: Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen

31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

May we grow up spiritually to realise that the goal of loving our Heavenly Father who loves us is more important than allowing the ‘little foxes that destroy the vine’ remain in our lives. 

Remember, Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, CANNOT love God, whom they have not seen – 1st John 4:20 (NIV).

-By Dedy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...