Tuesday 4 February 2014

God Still Speaks Loud and Clear

 I had an experience two days ago. I had an assignment for 8am and I needed to be out of my office to get it done. However, at the same, the cleaner was around to clean the office. I decided to remove the key to my office from the whole bunch and give it to the cleaner so that she can lock up my office when done and give the key to my colleague next door. As I was removing the key from the bunch, I had an impression in my spirit to leave my bunch of keys and retrieve it from my colleague when I get back. Although I clearly understood this as a main channel through which the Holy Spirit communicates with me, I discarded the thought because I reasoned it might not be too safe to leave the whole bunch, especially since it also contained keys to some other locks in the office. 

When I returned from my assignment, I picked my office key from my colleague and then in a flash, I remembered I didn't have my bunch of keys with me. How come? How did I go about it? Where could I have dropped it? I quickly scanned by brain and decided to retrace my steps, starting with the colleague that brought me back to my office. I asked him if I dropped my bunch of keys in his car and I got a 'no'. I went back to where I had gone for the assignment and looked round but no bunch of keys. I immediately concluded that I must have dropped it in the car that took me to where I went earlier. I went to the guy's office, he was not in. I called his number, it was switched off. I knew he was somewhere around and would soon return to his office so I decided to wait it out in the office next to mine.

I actually had access to my office (remember I removed the key to the door of my office from the bunch of keys) and I could have just gone in there instead of staying in another person's office but since my bag and laptop were locked somewhere else in the office, I must have subconsciously rationalised that there was nothing for me to do in the office and so, mentally locked myself out. Again, at some point, I had an impression in my spirit to go into my office, since I, at least, had the key to access it but for the second time, I discarded the thought.

Friends, I slept off and woke up in my colleague's office and still no sign of this guy who I thought had my bunch of keys in his car. I spent over four hours, mentally locked out of my office, waiting and getting irritable by the minute. At last, I was able to put a call through to this guy but alas, he informed me that my bunch of keys was nowhere in his car! What???? How is that even possible? I was too sure I had it figured out and I became perplexed! To cut it short, I now reasoned that it was possible to have forgotten the bunch of keys on my table all along. Hmmmm, I shouldn't tell you the merry-go-round process I still had to go through to access my office this time around (it will make the story more complex and longer than it should be) but I eventually did and right there, lying peacefully on my table, was my bunch of keys. I almost smacked myself!

Why did I tell this long story? In as much as I am a firm believer that all things work together for good, in as much as I convinced myself that it all happened for a reason best known to God, I learnt specifically that I probably also went through all that trouble and stress for disobeying the Holy Spirit. He spoke to me twice, I heard Him loud and clear, but did I listen? NO! Did I take heed? NO!

Two things quickly:
First, there's a category that needs to ask and answer these questions, "When the Holy Spirit speaks, do I listen? Do I take heed? Do I leave it only at the 'hearing' level or do I listen and demonstrate it through obedience? A lot of trials and troubles we would avoid if we take heed to the Spirit's promptings. A lot of negative consequences we would not have suffered if we would simply heed His instructions and prodding. Prophet Jonah remains a perfect example to learn from:

Jonah 1:1-4, 15 (CEV)
1 One day the [Lord] told Jonah, the son of Amittai, 2 to go to the great city of Nineveh and say to the people, “The [Lord] has seen your terrible sins. You are doomed!” 3 Instead, Jonah ran from the [Lord]. He went to the seaport of Joppa and found a ship that was going to Spain. So he paid his fare, then got on the ship and sailed away to escape. 4 But the [Lord] made a strong wind blow, and such a bad storm came up that the ship was about to be broken to pieces.......15, then they threw Jonah overboard, and the sea calmed down.

Jonah thought he had it figured out. As far as he was concerned, 'Ninevians' had no right to God's pardon and what was God thinking trying to save them anyway??? I can imagine Jonah rationalizing the situation and saying, "I, Jonah will not be a part of this unthinkable rescue mission!" Imagine, he went sailing away, trying to get away from God, so that God will not repeat that message to him. He figured by the time he returned, God would have changed His mind-----yeah, right! But don't we sometimes behave like Jonah? Thinking we know what a situation is supposed to look/be like and as such ignore what the Holy Spirit is telling us concerning the situation? Don't we ignore His promptings/prodding and rationalize the situation, thinking we have it all figured out?

Second, another category needs to ask and answer, "Do I even hear the Holy Spirit when He speaks? Do I recognise His voice? Can I discern His voice from other voices? Do I have the knowledge and understanding of the pattern and manner with which He communicates to me? Have I ever heard Him speak to me directly?" It is dangerous to hear Him and not listen or take heed, but it is much more disastrous not to be able to hear Him at all or not to discern His voice. For clear instructions and directions, if we will not make terrible, painful, and costly mistakes, it is expedient to be able to discern the voice of His majesty. The Bible says "Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left." Isaiah 30:21 (NLT). It is important to settle down, find out, and understand His manner of communication with us as individuals. Having established this, it is only wise to go ahead and take heed to what He ever so loudly and clearly says to us. May we receive grace today in Jesus' name and May the Lord help us to always listen to His promptings, no matter how difficult it seems.

Shalom! By Ayotunde

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...